wordpress hit counter
OpenXML Developer
Goodbye and Hello

OpenXmlDeveloper.org is Shutting Down

There is a time for all good things to come to an end, and the time has come to shut down OpenXmlDeveloper.org.

Screen-casts and blog posts: Content on OpenXmlDeveloper.org will be moving to EricWhite.com.

Forums: We are moving the forums to EricWhite.com and StackOverflow.com. Please do not post in the forums on OpenXmlDeveloper.org. Instead, please post in the forums at EricWhite.com or at StackOverflow.com.

Please see this blog post for more information about my plans moving forward.  Cheers, Eric

How To Distinguish Between Worksheets

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 1 Reply |
  • Hi...
    I am trying to use the Open XML SDK to generate an Excel document that has multiple worksheets.  My current strategy is to use Excel to create a template that already has all the worksheets present and named (via the tabs at the bottom of Excel), make a copy of the template, and then fill the data into each worksheet as required.

I am able to get a collection of all the worksheets using VB code like this:

Using excelDoc As SpreadsheetDocument = SpreadsheetDocument.Open("C:\excelFile.xlsx", True)     
        Dim excelDocWorksheetParts = excelDoc.WorkbookPart.GetPartsOfType(Of WorksheetPart)()     
        For Each excelDocWorksheetPart In excelDocWorksheetParts     
    End Using

But when I cycle through the WorksheetParts in excelDocWorksheetParts using a For Each loop, my testing has shown that the collection of worksheets returned by the above code are ordered in an apparently random manner.   I was expecting them to be ordered from left-to-right as they appear in the tabs at the bottom of Excel, but this is not so. 

Clearly, I need a way to figure out which worksheet I am working with in each iteration of the For Each loop.

It seems reasonable to me that I should be able to distinguish between worksheets by using the name that I have given each worksheet in the Excel tabs, but I just can't figure out how to do this.  Unfortunately, every code example I can find deals only with documents have only one worksheet.

If anybody has any ideas as to how I might go about distinguishing between worksheets within the For Each loop, I would love to read them.

Better yet, if you know how I can just get the one WorksheetPart by name that I am interested in, that would be excellent.

• I found example code on the Microsoft website that is exactly what I am looking for.

It's the function called GetWorksheetPartByName.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)